Virginia Beach, Virginia
By: Stephanie Spires
You just can’t keep Atlas staff out of the library, even on the weekend! Recently, while attending a fundraising event, John and Anne Marie had the opportunity to visit Virginia Beach’s First Public Library. As noted on the commemorative sign at the exhibit, the library was created in 1930 by the Women’s Municipal League when each member brought 2 books to a party to start the collection. A one room building was purchased for $50 to house the books. It was moved to five different locations before closing in 1946. It was abandoned for some time and moved to the Atlantic Wildfowl Heritage Museum Grounds in 2001.
John and Anne Marie were kindly treated to a private tour while attending a fundraising event at Atlantic Wildfowl when the director learned that they serve libraries at Atlas Systems, Inc.
The library contains first edition copies of ‘Dick and Jane’ and the ‘The Wizard of Oz.’ It also has the original librarian’s desk. There is an effort underway to fully restore the building and open it for tours. The director hopes to have a volunteer docent dress up as a librarian in 1930s attire and provide programs for children.